Foodie Friday: Berry Salad with Honey Balsamic Vinaigrette

Fun fact about me... I LOVE FOOD. It is certainly a passion of mine. I am currently working towards my degree in Nutrition and Dietetics. My goal is to create nutritious food and ensure it does not lack in flavor. Every Friday I am going to be posting a recipe that will nourish your body and tickle your taste buds... Enjoy!


Berry Salad


This is the base of most of my salads. It's amazing because it's delicious but also versatile. With this base I have added proteins like grilled chicken, quinoa, or tuna (made with mashed avocado instead of mayo,) but you can eat it as is and it's REALLY satisfying.

Ingredients
2 cups of mixed greens (I like to chop them, but that's just preference)
1/2 cup chopped fresh strawberries
1/4 cup fresh blueberries
1/8 cup sliced and/or slivered almonds
1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese

And that's it! So simple, so good. Add whatever protein you like (or don't) and drizzle with my honey balsamic vinaigrette (recipe below) and you've got a healthy, filling meal.

Honey Balsamic Vinaigrette



This dressing is so delicious. I always pair it with my Berry Salad but you can dip your chicken in it, drizzle it over caprese salad, drink it... whatever. 

Ingredients
1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
1 tablespoon of honey
1/2 tablespoon Dijon mustard
Pinch of salt

Add everything to a mason jar and shake it up... or into a bowl and mix it up... and then put it on EVERYTHING.

Nutrition Information
I'm not big on counting calories but I am really into the nutrients that the food we eat provides. Food is so important. It nourishes our body. It effects our mental health. It delights our taste buds and brings us joy. I'm going to take time at the end of my Foodie Friday posts to tell you what each ingredient included in these recipes does for you and your body.

Mixed Greens: Healthy carbohydrates, zero fat, tiny bit of protein, and packed full of vitamin A, C, K, folate and potassium and may also provide calcium and iron.
Strawberries: Healthy carbohydrates, rich in antioxidants, provides fiber, vitamin C, manganese, folate, and potassium.
Blueberries: SUPERFOOD. Healthy carbohydrates, provides fiber, vitamins K, C, and maganese and small amounts of vitamin E, B6, and copper.
Almonds: Healthy carbohydrates, provides fiber, protein, GOOD fat, vitamin E, B2, copper, maganese, magnesium, and are rich in antioxidants.
Feta Cheese: Provides protein, vitamins B2, B12, B6, calcium, sodium, phosphorus, selenium and Zinc.
Olive Oil: Has an abundance of healthy, monounsaturated fats, high in antioxidants, contains vitamins E and K.
Balsamic Vinegar: Antioxidant rich, includes acetic acid (this contains probiotic bacteria that aids in healthy digestion), and has loads of proven health benefits ranging from supporting weight loss to improving the condition of your skin.
Honey: Honey... probably my most favorite thing in the world... Healthy carbohydrate, contains many antioxidants, and just tastes so good.
Dijon Mustard: This is a delicious, tangy emulsifier which binds all of these wonderful ingredients together.

I hope you guys try these recipes and LOVE them as much as I do. Please let me what you think!

Until next time, sending blessings your way ✨

Comments

Popular Posts